Food drives are a great way for individuals, schools, clubs and organisations to help supply the non-perishable items that are always needed by Foodbank.
Items that are most in demand to help fill our emergency hampers include:
- Canned fruit, vegetables, fish, soups and meals
- Sauces and seasonings
- Dried fruit and nuts
- UHT milk and juices
- Coffee, tea and spreads
- Rice, pasta and noodles
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes
- Dental floss
- Feminine hygiene products
Coordinating a food drive
If you are interested in holding a food drive please contact our office and we can assist.
P: (03) 9362 8300
- Obtain strong collection containers (medium sized cardboard boxes that weigh 10kgs when filled are the most manageable). In some instances, we may be able to provide you with collection containers to assist with your food drive. We have a range of sizes that are suitable for office receptions, work floors or even shopping centres.
- Place your collection containers in highly visible places where it is convenient for people to drop off their donations.
- Promote your food drive. We can provide you with promotional and marketing material including posters, balloons and information about Foodbank Victoria.
- Arrange for transportation. Our warehouse is located in Yarraville or if your collection is particularly large, we may be able to coordinate a pickup.
- Rember food and funds are equally important contributions. You may like to promote the option of donating funds along with your food drive.
Virtual food drive
We also offer a virtual food drive – where you can shop in our virtual store and choose and pay for items you wish to donate.
Remember with every $1 donated we can source and distribute $8 worth of food, allowing us to stretch your donation further and feed more people. For example, a $25 donation is the equivalent of $200 worth of food for people in need.